Friday 22 April 2016

First Adventures with PURE inks by Diane Ingram

Dip, Drip, Dunk and Dye!


Perhaps a more appropriate title for this post would be “Dyed and gone to heaven” as I have spent some very self-indulgent hours playing with Oak House Studio inks.  So much fun in one little bottle and endless possibilities. The more I played the more I discovered ….sometimes by design….sometimes by accident!  I managed to create some interesting background papers when I knocked over a full bottle of diluted Jubilee Blue…. without its lid on. 
Top tip….the pipettes are excellent for sucking up spilt ink and decanting back into the bottle…the rest can be mopped up with copier paper and/or scraps of ribbon lace and punched shapes…..in fact anything that comes to hand that could be dyed.





After my exploration session I was left with a fantastic bank of pieces to use….  
….and an idea for adapting Shibori (Japanese fabric dyeing).  Instead of fabric I used to 2 sheets of tissue paper folded together to create some designer wrapping paper.
Working with a “puddle” of water and a “puddle” of Colour Chemistry Ink, I dipped the folded paper in and out of the water and ink…depending on the pattern and effect I wanted to create.

The paper had to unfolded while still wet and laid out to dry.
I created several designs with different folds and different shades of ink – Waterfall, Vintage blue, Jubilee Blue and Blue Jeans.









Once dry (which actually didn’t take very long) it was time to wrap my friends present. The “dyed” look is very fashionable at the moment in home trends and so is accents of gold. The finishing touch was an initial cut on a Cricut then stamped with the Thoresby Background stamp.  My gold ink pad was very old but it was improved with a few accents of Oak House Pure Gold Acrylic Ink ….. This ink is so beautiful and difficult to capture on camera how shiny and gorgeous it is…..true liquid gold.


As I am an extremely frugal crafter…I used the negative of the initial to create a coordinating card. Keeping it “Clean and Simple” I attached the shape over one of the premade backgrounds…. a few splashes of the amazing Pure Gold added some pretty detail. The sentiments (Oak House Birthday and Best wishes text stamps) were stamped with Cobalt Blue and Powder Blue pigment ink.



I will be posting some more “Something Blue” projects and further details of my “dyeing” adventures on my blog http://justaddglueto.blogspot.co.uk/ …plus a very frugal envelope to go with my card, quite by accident I created a Verdigris effect with the Pure Gold and Colour Chemistry inks which I was quite pleased with, see what you think, I’d love you to pop by and say hello.
.....and finally very big thank you to Lynnda and Oak House Studio for inviting me to play along with the Take Five event….I do hope you join in to……...    Happy Crafting, love Diane


8 comments:

Elaine said...

Fantastic projects and really interesting techniques. You certainly looked like you had fun!

rachel said...

these look wonderful and what a lot of fun you had - great stuff! Hugs Rachel x

Angela Dodson said...

such beautiful projects and love the interesting inking technique, Love the Gold too!! :)

Unknown said...

some awesome ideas x thanks for sharing x

Rebecca said...

This is beautiful :)

Unknown said...

Such original and inspiring work Diane. Thanks for sharing will going over to have a look at your blog as soon as I've finished here. :-D

Lisapmac said...

Excellent 😊

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous projects, love the card simple but effective.

Sylv xx